In the modern world, “democracy is the best system of governance. Monarchy have been abolished in different parts of the world and democracy has been established there.There are some countries, which are following direct democracy as well as indirect democracy. It has become a universal concept in the current century.” It has become a way of life for the people of the world. With the establishment of popular sovereignty in a democracy, the development of personality is possible, and its popularity is increasing day by day. Democracy is best known around the world as the best governance and government.
Meaning of democracy
The word democracy was widely used in the nineteenth century. It has become more popular at all levels of the world. History suggests that democratic thought originated in ancient Greece. The word “democracy” is originated from Greece from Greek words.It is combination of two words “Demos” and “Kratos” and demos mean people or mass, Kratos means power. So democracy means power of people. Democracy is generally two types (i) Direct democracy which is also known as pure democracy. (ii)Indirect democracy is known as Representative democracy.
Main features of democracy:-
1.Popular sovereignty:- The people here have the almighty power in their hands. They are the ones who are represented and controlled by the people of the real government. The opinion of the people here is very important and their opinion is same as the opinion of God. This is because of the fact that Democracy is a systematic government where people form government and run the country.
2 Equality: – Democracy is a state of equality. Discrimination has no place in democracy. All are equal in a democracy. Brotherhood is the symbol of friendship. The neutrality of national policies influences its governance.
3. Liberty and Justice: Freedom is most important weapon of an individual. Freedom helps a person to develop his personality. It simply came to our notice then. Justice, on the other hand, is the key to the rule of law. Another name for justice is truth. Justice is intended not to oppress the weak. Without justice, there would be no faith in the rule of the nation. So it is a person’s freedom and trust.It is the system that promotes democratic values. Justice is always based on equality.
4. Importance of Majority: In a democracy, the importance of majority thinking is much higher than that of quality thinking. In this government, all unjust majority is established in Viv. Although it emphasizes the majority, it does not neglect the minority.
5. Election: Elections are the most powerful means of expressing democratic values. This gives citizens the opportunity to represent the government. This increases the effect of the person’s innate personality. Elections explore talent and change in many ways.
6. Political Parties: Political parties are an integral part of increasing the dynamics of democracy. This increases political participation.The party system trains the new generation. The activism of the opposition further dissolves democracy. Political parties are therefore compared to the heart of democracy.
7. Opened Discussion: In a democracy, all decisions are made through open discussion. The talks are being held between representatives of the ruling party and the opposition in the legislature. The rule of law in this country prioritizes the personal ideology of the ruler. Governance is not reflected in the expression of thought or personal will. Therefore, public opinion is respected through open interpretation.
8. Change of the Government by Public Opinion through Constitutional means: Change of the Government by public opinion through Constitutional means at regular intervals Violence is not seen here to overthrow the government. Governance is governed by the Constitution. The public enjoys this power through voting.
9. Tolerance: A tolerant or patient attitude maintains a brotherly relationship. The decision is made by a majority vote, promising not to ignore anyone. Tolerance is very helpful for a strong mind. Tolerance promotes unity by discouraging social divisions.
10 Promoting Welfarism:- The gap between rich and poor is reduced through a variety of welfare schemes. The state is always trying to meet the basic needs of the people. There are many ways to look at minorities.
11. Rule of Law: This system of governance is based on the rule of law. No one here is above the law. The law is the youngest way to avoid arbitrariness. The law is used as the main weapon to establish equality, justice, and freedom. The rule here is not of anyone, but the people. It is the duty of all to abide by the law and to respect it. Equality of law is essential for building a prosperous and prosperous society. The popular law is enforced here and the government is strengthened.
12. Political liberty :- Citizens take an active part in governing the country in a democracy. Citizens enjoy political independence, the right to vote in elections, the right to freedom of expression, the right to criticize the government, and the right to form unions. In addition, fundamental rights are granted to the development of the personality of the individual.